ABOUT THE DIRECTOR
Shri Vinod Kumar
Director and Principal, Bhaatkhande Sangit Vidyalaya
Mr Vinod Kumar is the Director and Principal of Bhaatkhande Sangit Vidyalaya, one of the oldest and most successful musical institutes in Delhi. Mr Kumar developed a passion for music at a very young age. He was inspired by Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan when his father took young Vinod Kumar to an all-night concert of the Ustad in Delhi. Mr Kumar decided that night to dedicate his life to music.
Mr Kumar went on to achieve his dream. He studied his Vadya Visharad (Tabla) and Sangeet Visharad at Bhaatkhande Sangeet Vidyapeeth in Lucknow. Apart from singing and playing the tabla, Mr Kumar is well-known for composing music for over 300 classical Ghazals, Bhajans and Taranas.
Mr Kumar has performed for dignitaries around the world as a Top Grade Artiste of Ghazals as well as a Top Grade Artiste (Light Music) empanelled with the Indian Centre for Cultural Relations (ICCR). He has given consistently highly-acclaimed performances during his career which has spanned five decades. The following are some performance highlights of Mr Kumar’s career:
• Performed before President Nixon at the White House, Washington in 1971
• 25th Independence Day celebrations of Iran in 1972
• Performed for the Prime Minister’s Relief Fund in 1974 and 1975
• Visited Afghanistan as a guest of the ICCR
• Performed before Mr. B.D. Jatti, former Vice President of India in 1976
• 1977- toured USA and Canada
• 1979- toured Fiji, Singapore, and Australia to perform and teach as a guest of the ICCR
• 1989- toured USA and Canada
• 1991- performed in Barcelona, Spain
• 1999-toured Cyprus as a guest of the Indian Ministry of Tourism and Aviation
• 2001- Ghazal Performance in Kolkata as a guest of the Eastern Zone Cultural Center
• 2004 – Ghazal Performance organised by the Eastern Zone Cultural Center Allahabad
• 2004 – Ghazal performances tour of Canada
• 2006 – Ghazal Performance organised by the Eastern Zone Cultural Center in Thanjavur
• 2008 – Performed in Nepal as a guest of the ICCR
Mr Kumar is a Member of several Expert Committees, including:
• National Scholarship of the Ministry of Culture, New Delhi
• Republic Day Celebration (School Children Committee), Ministry of Defense
• Sub Committee of ICCR, New Delhi in Light and Popular Music, Ministry of Human Resource Development
As Director and Principal of Bhaatkhande Sangit Vidyalaya, the musical institute has blossomed under Mr Kumar’s expert guidance. The Vidyalaya was established in 1939 in Rangoon, Burma by the late Shri N.N. Chopra. Following World War II, it was moved to Delhi and began classes in a rented space in Sardar Patel Vidyalaya with only 5 students.
The journey from 5 students in the 1940s to over 100 students today with its own dedicated building in South Delhi has been a wonderful learning experience. The Vidyalaya has faced and overcome many challenges along the way but never compromised on imparting quality training to its students.
The institute conducts five-year degree course examinations in Vocal Music, Instrumental Music and Kathak Dance and runs its teaching centre in Qutub Institutional Area, New Delhi. The Vidyalaya conducts classes for all age groups and has designed flexible modules to make performing arts accessible to a larger audience. Bhaatkhande Sangit Vidyalaya is affiliated with Bhaatkhande Sangit Vidyapith in Lucknow. The Vidyalaya also has to its credit, a lot of students, who have made it to the top. To name a few; Gursewak Mann (pop singer), Neeti Mohan (Band member in the Channel V band “Aasma”), Anita Singhvi (Ghazal Singer), Saumya Swaminathan (Winner of Spic Macay Guru Shishya Parampara workshop- under 18yrs category) and Pooja Gupta who now runs the Ragas Institute in Australia.